ABOUT THE ORGANIZERS:
Lexpert Assist is an Online Interactive Platform aimed at enhancing Legal Education and Creating Awareness among Legal Fraternity in a productive manner by way of various activities. Our Vision is to unite students across the country from various fields to provide them with different opportunities and platforms to express their skills and abilities through articles, blogs, opinions, news updates, and many more to help them become better lawyers.
The Unfiltered Journal is a website with a mission to put together the two powerful fields of Journalism and Law in making the readers aware of their basic rights and give people a platform to voice their opinions, problems, and issues without the fear of them being drowned out.
ABOUT THE EVENT:
The teams of The Unfiltered Journal and Lexpert Assist will be organizing a symposium on 2nd November 2020 addressing the crimes committed against the journalists.
Around 1,200 journalists have been reported killed in the period of 14 years, i.e. from 2006-2019. On average, 1 death every 4 days is reported. However, in 9/10 cases, the murderers go unpunished. Impunity leads to more killings and is often an indication of conflicts and breakdown of law and judicial systems.
Thus, in recognition of the consequences of impunity, especially with regards to the crimes against journalists, the United Nations General Assembly in 2013, announced 2 November as the ‘International Day to End Impunity for Crimes against Journalists’ (IDEI).
EXPERT PANEL FOR SYMPOSIUM:
- Mr Ajit Singh – Deputy Superintendent of Police [Retd.] CID [IB]
- Dr. S. Krishnan Mani – Dr. S. Krishnan is an Associate Professor in Seedling School of Law and Governance, Jaipur National University, Jaipur, Rajasthan. He had also worked as a Journalist for about 7 years in esteemed newspapers like Indian Express and Daily News Analysis, online news portals and a magazine in Gujarat.
- Adv. Smeeksha Pandey– Advocate at Hon’ble Supreme Court of India and Delhi High Court and Council Member at WICCI Luxembourg.
- Adv. Akriti Shikha – Advocate at Bombay High Court and Former Associate at Luthra and Luthra Associates.
- Carol Andrade – Veteran Journalist, Academician, Advisory board member, The Unfiltered Journal
STUDENT PANEL FOR SYMPOSIUM:
- Mr. Shubham Bhargava– He is currently pursuing Masters in PR and Mass Communications from The Delhi School of Communications. He has won more than 200 debates and conferences all around the country including the National Students Union of India Debate 2019. He also got the opportunity to host the Times of India Litfest 2019.